Established in 1959, we bring over 60 years of knowledge to serving the best seafood and have earned a reputation as one of Westport’s best dining venues.
Brian & Brid Ruddy came to Westport in 1959 and knew Westport needed a great Fish & Chip shop, having seen the idea in Bundoran. Brid fondly recalls the opening night with ques from the top of James St to try the fish & chips. Cod was sourced locally from Westport Harbour and Brian created great relationships with the local fishermen and was one of the first people to market Westport abroad to the German & Dutch.
In 1963 they opened the Clew Bay Hotel, from then it throve with showbands, dinner dances, GAA and political functions. Indeed, we have welcomed Irish Taoiseach from Jack Lynch to Micheál Martin.
Brian passed away suddenly in 1976 and Brid continued to run a very successful hotel, in 1995 her daughter Maria and husband Darren Madden took over the hotel and embarked on a redevelopment plan. Today it is an award winning, sustainable green business offering the same warm welcome to all our locals and visitors. Our signature dish is still of course Ruddy’s Famous Fish & Chips!